How, When, and Why We Collect Information
- Activity That Doesn’t Require Registration. You can view content on the Website without registering or providing any personal information. When you enter the Website, we collect information such as your browser and operating system type and IP address to optimize your experience on the Website and to track aggregate Website usage. In addition, we use a “session” cookie to identify you while you are on the Website, if cookies are enabled on your computer. This session cookie terminates once you finish using the Website and close your browser.
- Mailing list. You may provide us with your email address if you wish only to join our mailing list.
- Activity Requiring Registration. Certain activities on the Website — for example, posting comments, participating in campaigns or surveys — require you to register. To become a registered user, we ask you to provide your name, zip code and email address. If you decide to register, we use a persistent cookie that stores certain information to make it easier for you to login when you come back to the Website. However, none of your personal information is stored in that cookie. You may also be asked to provide certain additional information to participate in other activities that we may undertake through the Website. For example, if you sign up to receive information by mail, we will ask for your street address. You may update or correct your personal account information and email preferences at any time by visiting your account profile page.
- Usage Information. We may record information about your usage of the Website, such as when you use the site, the areas of the site you click on and/or participate in, the tags you search for, and whether or not you subscribe to the RSS feed. If you are logged in, we may associate that information with your account. A persistent cookie may be used to track this information. We may use pixel tags and/or trackable links in HTML-based emails sent to our users to track which emails are opened and/or clicked on by recipients.
- Comments Posted to Site. Any personal information or content that you voluntarily disclose online becomes publicly available and can be collected and used by others. Your user name (not your email address) is displayed to other users when you post comments. When posting comments, you should exercise caution not to provide any personally identifying information or other information that you would not want seen by others. Use of the community functions on the Website is at your own risk.
- Polls and Surveys. From time to time, we may conduct polls and surveys. Information collected through our polls, surveys, and questionnaires is used in the aggregate, unless we contact you to request permission to use your individual responses for a particular purpose. We do not knowingly collect any information from children under the age of 13.
Uses of Personal Information
- We will use your email address to communicate with you about Greenwise Joint Venture activities and offerings, unless you opt-out from receiving such messages. We will also use your email address for administrative purposes, such as notifying you of major Website changes, sending messages related to actions you have taken on the site or for customer service purposes. Although we hope you’ll find these communications informative and useful, if you don’t, you can always unsubscribe by following the simple instructions included in each email.
- When you send email or other communications to us, we may retain those communications in order to process your inquiries, respond to your requests and improve our services.
- We use both your personally identifying information and certain non-personally-identifying information (such as anonymous usage data, IP addresses, browser type, clickstream data, etc.) to improve the quality of your user experience and the design of the Website and to create new features, functionality, and services by storing, tracking, and analyzing user behavior, preferences, trends, and actions.
We may be required to disclose user information pursuant to lawful requests, such as subpoenas or court orders, or in compliance with applicable laws. If we receive a subpoena requesting information about you and if you have provided us with your email address, we will attempt to notify you of the subpoena at the email address that you have provided. Additionally, we may share account or other information when we believe it is necessary to comply with the law, to protect our interests or property, to prevent fraud or other illegal activity perpetrated through the Website or using the Greenwise Joint Venture name, to prevent bodily harm, to enforce our User Agreement, or to protect the rights, property or safety of visitors to our site, the public or Greenwise Joint Venture. In the unlikely event that Greenwise Joint Venture (or substantially all of its assets) is merged with another entity, information on our visitors would be among the transferred assets.
Information Security and Data Integrity
Greenwise Joint Venture takes security measures to protect against unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of data. These include internal reviews of our data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures, as well as physical security measures to guard against unauthorized access to systems where we store personal data.
Effective Date: January 2012